Thursday, June 22, 2006

Open Source obsession

People around me, know this better...my interests in writing are on par with my obsession with anything that can be called - Open Source - in the true sense...

Open Source - what it means to me and how it emanates from the Analytical Reasoning section of my brain reads as follows....just to clear the misconception (that they have never doubted) people have about open source !!!

"a whole new approach to transparent and clean source code development which is *free* to use/modify/publish and when one means free, it is free as in 'free'dom. There is a very smart licensing mechanism to safeguard the interests and foster faith in people who are into this aspect of software development. This makes a very interesting proposition for people to move to this domain, free from the shackles of proprietary domain. One does not necessarily *code* to get into this world....there are a wide range of things one can choose to contribute as. In this open world...every single person is an important entity in this system. From the end-user who embraces and evangelizes open source, to the people who contribute to the development of the open source movement in one way or the other form a focal point hard to ignore...and the astounding aspect is that every person out of this system gets recognized and credited for the contribution, which makes one crave for more contribution....It is a win-win situation for every one around...such an ideal world is hard to believe but harder to live without.... particularily when the propreitary world's threat is consuming monstrous proportions for both business & personal users alike"

ok...I am not sure if one can follow that...not that it is too abstract...just that it was too wordy according to me...so try taking these in the place of the above one...

"A world where one gets to use software applications free of cost and one can change the way things work with the software, if one wills to and give it back to the society and help build a better world to live in"

And this bug bit me three years back and I got hooked on to opensource as a part of my work...when I started to use Linux as the OS of choice...and my colleagues though they were aware of the open source aspects of Linux...weren't too interested in this avenue...they saw Linux more as a powerful way to combat Microsoft....but then I went on to understand that Linux was just the tip of the iceberg called Open Source...there are so many things that open source consists of. Just that Linux acts as the most popular pupil of this talented master..!!!

More than getting into Linux, and becoming a geek, I was more interested in this Open source aspect of this thingy....and started exploring this and was pleasantly surprised to find that there are so many things to Free/Libre Open Source Software (FLOSS), than just Linux...and that's what interested me most....

Coupled with the forceful nature of my other workplace..to use M$ software....I went further against the advocacy of the Redmond based Software giant's products.... and am still tuned to this...

so get to the end of this with this tag-line...(just reproducing some popular quote...definetely not credited to me!!!!)

"Get Liberated!! Reach the Source !!!"

Doesn't it sound philosophical and MATRIX-ian...yeah that's the beauty of open source...it syncs with so many other ideological things other than just source code!!!!